Project - Oaks Landfill Leachate Pretreatment
Project: Operation and Maintenance of the Oaks Landfill Leachate
Facility, Montgomery County, MD
Facility: Leachate Pretreatment Facility Oaks Landfill, MD
EEMA designed and constructed a leachate pretreatment
plant and oil and grit separator for Montgomery
County, MD, at the Oaks Sanitary Landfill. EEMA is
currently operating this facility.
The pretreatment system, which is housed within a pre-engineered
building, also includes the following:
- pH adjustment and primary clarification for the
removal of metals, suspended solids, and insoluble
biological oxygen demand (BOD).
- Biocells for BOD and chemical oxygen demand (COD) reduction.
- Secondary clarification to settle biological solids.
- Sludge holding tank and lime slurry tank.
- Filter presses for dewatering sludge to 20% to 30%
Along with the design and construction of the pretreatment
facility, EEMA secured all permits related to
plant construction. This included reviews by local county
agencies for storm water and sedimentation control
and general construction permits, state permits for
potable water and sanitary facilities, and state permits
for electric power. The plant effluent discharges to the
WSSC wastewater collection system.